In The Face of Technology


Hello there.

Have you guys been productive these past days?

No?

That's okay, but I have. I went to the library for two days in a row (which is shocking, to be honest). As I was sitting by the window of the library yesterday, I tried to study. I really did. But, there were moments where my eyes just kind of wander off to the view outside, where people were just walking back and fro. After almost 10 minutes of staring, I noticed some kind of pattern among the little humans down there. The international students were talking with each other (albeit loud, mind you, I could hear them even from level 4 of the library). But, interestingly, most of the local students were walking with their noses in their phones, with no regards of their surroundings. It kind of reminds me of when a group of old friends gather for a 'reunion', but end up sitting at a table together, with heads bend down, just to play with their phones.

As I continued to daydream, I thought to myself, is that all there is to our lives? Is that where we're living? In the cyber world? Is our view chained to only the span of the small lighted rectangular screen?

We wake up, we look at our phones. We walk, with our phones in our hands. We eat, with our phones beside our plates. Sure, we have to use our phones for daily business and we can get information with just a tap of our fingertip and all that shit, but really? Don't you think it's a bit too much? We might as well just be robots at this point.

These past few days, the leaves are yellowing and falling. Yesterday, on the way up my mahallah, the ground was covered with beautiful yellow leaves. The sky had been grayish blue,  a sign of the upcoming rain that evening. Me and my friends relished in the beauty. What a blessing that was.

Wonder how many of others missed it? Just because they were nose deep in their cyber world?

I know probably a lot of people have already mention these things, but nothing really changes, you know? Well, at least around me, that is. We continue to merge with the technology, the phone is like our third hand, our earphones are like an extension of our ears.

Say, are we slowly surrendering our human touch to the grasp of technology?

-tom



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome, as I Disappear

Burrito God